Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Reach Out And Murder Someone




... see what I did there? No? Then perhaps I should explain. The video below has been making its way around the internet today (I found it first on Kotaku)



As you can see, the "leaked" footage shows the possibility of a new "Murder Mode" that may appear in Microsoft's latest addition to the Halo Universe, Halo: Reach. In the Kotaku post, Ashcraft speculates that perhaps the footage wasn't REALLY leaked in the traditional I-stole-yo-game sense, but rather that Microsoft allowed it to get out to generate a little buzz. This type of speculation always comes with any leaked footage, and rightfully so. Viral marketing has always been a very effective way to sell a product, and it's not inconceivable that Microsoft could be behind this. Especially when adding the word "Murder" to a game that's never really counted on over-the-top violence, gore, or controversy to sell their game. Sure, people have bitched about it... but mostly because you're killing things with guns, not because Microsoft or Bungie ever set out to get that reaction. I hope there's no reaction at all. I have no problem with the name given to this alleged mode, and I assume MOST of you out there never even gave it a second thought. Well, I should take that back. I DO have a problem with it because the name sounds a little dumb and on the nose, but not because it implies violence. However, I can't help but wonder if maybe Microsoft is letting this get out there to see how the general public will react. It may seem silly, but growing up, I know plenty of friends who's parents would immediately walk away from any game they heard had a "murder mode". I know, the ESRB ratings are there, but we all know that these games make their way into the hands of "underage" gamers all the time. I should note that I don't have a problem with this. If the kid is mature enough, a decision that SHOULD be made by parents, then I don't see the big deal. At any rate, I wouldn't be surprised to see the game released with a "stealth mode" for no good reason.

Stay tuned for the less anticipated, Citation Mode. YOU CAN'T PARK THAT WARTHOG HERE!

No comments: